Saint John storms out to commanding win to open the 2015 MWFL season

During opening day of the 2015 MWFL season, the twelfth in its history, the Saint John Storm established themselves as one of the teams to beat. Entering this season as the defending league champions, it is a status that they are not ready to relinquish, as evidenced by their 66-0 trouncing of the Moncton Vipers, who have returned to MWFL play after not competing in 2014.

In the first forty seconds of the contest, the Storm got onto the scoreboard as Kait Girouard ran to daylight on a twenty yard play. Julie Edwards Rocca would catch a pass for the two-point conversion, resulting in an early 8-0 lead. It would set the tempo for the rest of the game as the Storm continued to find ways to score.

At the 7:49 mark, Moncton’s first possession resulted in a turnover. Saint John would reclaim the ball due to a quarterback sack by Kaitryn Sewell. It would only take 3:48 for Saint John to capitalize on the turnover with another touchdown.

Quarterback Trina Graves, who has also played on the offensive and defensive lines in her distinguished career, found Lori Boyles in the end zone on a sterling 55-yard scoring pass. Krystie Perry would catch the conversion as the quarter ended in a 16-0 advantage.

Heading into the second quarter, the Vipers tried to build momentum. Dale Murray would intercept a pass, trying to turn the tide her team’s favor. Unfortunately, the Vipers could not take advantage of the turnover. Trina Graves would redeem herself for the interception. Just 2:17 after Murray’s pick, Graves ran the ball seven yards into the end zone.

Fellow Storm player Lori Boyles (who also played with Graves on the Canadian national team) would add to the lead as she logged an interception with 7:59 remaining. Picking off veteran quarterback Jenny Miller, she returned it for a touchdown. With the Vipers unable to assemble any type of offensive attack, the score at halftime would show 28-0 for Saint John.

Once again, Dale Murray would try to strengthen the Vipers morale. Less than two minutes into the third quarter, she intercepted Graves, but the result was more struggles on offense for the Vipers. Only 47 seconds after the pick, Saint John not only regained the ball, but added to their already overwhelming lead. Edwards Rocca ran on an impressive 63-yard scoring run, making the score 34-0 for the Storm.

Despite their best efforts, the Vipers struggled throughout the game, as their one-year absence from league play showed. After Edwards Rocca’s touchdown, the Vipers continued to struggle on the offense, as a fumble was recovered by Kara Fillmore. On the very next play, Trina Graves found Krystie Perry on a 35-yard scoring pass.

Gaining her second touchdown of the game, Edwards Rocca opened the fourth quarter with a 47-yard scoring run. On the Storm’s next possession, Edwards Rocca scored on another impressive run, scampering 49 yards into the end zone. As a side note, the Storm succeeded on the two-point conversion with Perry making a reception.

With the game out of reach for the Vipers, the struggles continued. Merely 32 seconds later, quarterback Jenny Miller took a safety in the end zone.

Meanwhile, Edwards Rocca would add to her prime time performance. In the last minute of the game, she scored on a game-high 72 yard touchdown run, giving her over 200 yards in the game. Once again, Perry would score on the two-point conversion as the Storm’s season began on a very strong note.


#dale-murray, #jenny-miller, #julie-edwards-rocca, #kait-girouard, #krystie-perry, #lori-boyles, #moncton-vipers, #saint-john-storm, #trina-graves